Hart-filled English

D'Angelo Delgado, Patriot Staff Writer

Mr. Hart pursued a career in teaching for the following. Initially, and like most of us during our childhood (or even now in our high school years), Mr. Hart wasn’t a big fan of learning or some of his teachers, with a few exceptions. One of those being his old study hall teacher, John Howard who also taught Honors and AP English. “He was crazy, but in a good way. All of my friends raved about him. After I met him, I understood why. I talked to him every day in study hall about music and movies, and eventually about books. He is the reason I became an English teacher. I was lucky enough to do my student teaching with him.” Mr. Howard passed away last year, may he rest in peace, and Mr. Hart often thinks of his old mentor when he teaches.
Five years later, Mr. Hart did a double major in English\German, then took his Education classes. This double major helps him with his work, especially if an assignment involves the use of Old English, which has a more German vocabulary than modern English. Before being hired by WTPS, which was the first school to offer him a job and has been where he has taught since 2001, Mr. Hart almost became an interpreter for the Air Force. However, he decided to stay when he met the woman that would be his wife later on. What Mr. Hart likes most about his job are his interactions with his students, be it in the classroom, or when on cafeteria duty. What Mr. Hart values most in his students is that they enjoy their youth. “I always tell my students that it’s ok to do things when you are young (nothing illegal or bad, obviously). You have the rest of your life to pay bills, go to meetings, etc. Enjoy being young. Enjoy high school, and enjoy college. It goes by faster than you can imagine.”
Seeing as how English (and other things) might not be everybody’s cup of tea, Mr. Hart understands that it’s a required course, one that not everyone enjoys. He tries to make his students come to class to see the craziness they will be getting into that day, as he puts it. We all know that every individual learns in different ways, but the lessons that they learn will always be same. “Sometimes students will tell me that they learned about life and the “real world”. I remember what it feels like to be in their shoes. I try to be as real as possible when they ask me questions,”
Last, but not least, Mr. Hart admits that English might not be for everyone. And this is true for those that do indeed struggle with English. “Being able to read and understand things is important. Even if it’s something as simple as instructions on how to build a shelf. (Ok, they are kind of hard sometimes!). Having a good working vocabulary is also very important. It’s is like everything else. Practice.”