Do a doubletake

Color guard exceeds expectations

Casey Spencer '17, Editor

One of the many activities here at Washington Township High School is one where you get to dance around, compete, and make many friendships. Color guard may be one activity out of many, but it is something that you never knew you may actually like.

Color guard presents an interpretation of music by preforming a dance-like routine on a basketball-size court. It sounds easy, but with flags, rifles, sabers and other pieces of equipment flying in all directions, it gets difficult pretty fast.

“I like that it is challenging.” Said Bria Lamonica’17, a member of the indoor color guard team.

Like any other group/team activity, there are many things that color guard offers. Being a part of a group can teach someone many different skills. Also, people can form everlasting memories and creative bonds with others by just getting involved.

“I’ve made a lot of friends doing color guard.” Said Lamonica

The team had a successful fall season preforming outdoors with the WTHS Marching Band during halftime at football games. Now, the indoor color guard team practices Monday and Wednesday evenings throughout the winter months to prepare for competitions.

“Even though it is a big commitment it is rewarding”. Lamonica said.

The team finished its last season by placing third out of twelve teams in a competition. This year, the team had its first competition February 13, 2016 at Gateway. They placed second out of four teams, and eventually went off to win a competition the following Saturday. So far, the team is off to a good start and still has many more competitions to come.

Color guard is a unique program that puts an interesting spin on a way to interpret music. They are a program that is definitely worth supporting and seeing perform in their competitions.